Play No Holds Barred here:

Eddie Goldman is the host and producer of the No Holds Barred international podcast, the publisher of the No Holds Barred blog, and a senior contributing editor at the ADCC News.

  • Click here for No Holds Barred on Google Play Music (free Google account required).
  • Click Here for No Holds Barred on PodOmatic.com.
  • Click here for the PodOmatic Podcast Player free app for Android at Google Play.
  • Click here for the PodOmatic Podcast Player free app for iOS on the App Store.
  • Click Here to listen to No Holds Barred via Stitcher through iOS or Android devices or on the web.
  • No Holds Barred is also available through the Aha Radio app for iPhone and Android, and can be played on your phone or tablet or in your car.
  • Subscribe to No Holds Barred
    Browse Archives at groups.google.com

    Web No Holds Barred

    Sunday, August 26, 2007

    SecondsOut Radio: Fernando Vargas, Alfredo Escalera Jr., Ron Scott Stevens 

  • SecondsOut Radio with Eddie Goldman

  • On this week's edition of SecondsOut Radio, host Eddie Goldman reviews the "Punchin' at the Paradise" fight card, which was held Friday, August 24, at the Utopia Paradise Theater in the Bronx, New York, and which was shown in the US on ESPN2's Friday Night Fights.

    After his fight, we spoke with 27-year-old cruiserweight Alfredo Escalera Jr. (15-0-1, 11KOs), who survived a first round knockdown to take an eight-round decision over Harvey Jolly (6-5-1, 3 KOs). He is the son of the former world super featherweight champion Alfredo "Salsero" Escalera, who attended this fight.

    The main event featured welterweight Delvin Rodriguez (now 20-2-1, 1 ND, with 12 KOs) in his first fight back after being stopped by Jesse Feliciano in March. His opponent was Keenan Collins (12-2-1, 1 ND, 8 KOs). Rodriguez's attempted comeback fight proved to be anti-climactic, as the bout was halted after the second round due to a cut over Collins's left eye. The referee ruled that the cut was caused by an accidental head butt. Since the fight had not gone at least four rounds, it was declared a no decision.

    Video replays of the fight, however, seemed to indicate that the cut was caused by a right hand by Rodriguez, and showed no evidence of any head butt by Rodriguez. Controversy ensued, and Ron Scott Stevens, chairman of the New York State Athletic Commission, said he would review the video in the commission's offices this week.

    We spoke with Ron Scott Stevens after the fight about this controversy, and what the commission does, and does not, have the power to do in such instances. We also asked him about the proposed sanctioning of mixed martial arts in New York.

    As many people already know, the September 8 fight between Fernando Vargas and Ricardo Mayorga has been postponed after Vargas was found to be suffering from anemia. No new plans for this bout have yet been announced, although its promoters have said that they want to see it rescheduled.

    The 29-year-old Vargas had already announced that this was to have been his last fight, and that he was now going to become a promoter. Before the announcement of this fight's postponement, we spoke with Fernando Vargas on a media teleconference call this past week to get an idea of what he plans to do after he retires as an active fighter.

    It is free to listen to SecondsOut Radio, but you must register to gain access to it. Just click here, and listen, learn, and enjoy.

    Labels: , , , , ,

    Links to this post:

    Comments: Post a Comment


    Post a Comment

    0 comments Tweet

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    © 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 Eddie Goldman all rights reserved.