<$BlogRSDURL$>


Thursday, December 22, 2005

Stoney Retires 

Here is the official story in a press release issued Thursday:

2-Time Heavyweight Champion of the World John Ruiz’ manager Norman Stone retires

WILMINGTON, Mass. (December 22, 2005) – Colorful boxing manager Norman “Stoney” Stone today announced his retirement from his Massachusetts home. Stone had been two-time world heavyweight champion John “The Quietman” Ruiz’ manager and cutman for the past 20 years dating back to Ruiz’ amateur days.

“I’m done,” Stone said. “I’m tired of boxing and last week’s bad decision was the last straw (Ruiz lost a controversial 12-round majority decision to Nicolay Valuev in Berlin for the WBA title). I’m going to relax with my family and spend a lot of time with my two little grandchildren. I’ll always support Johnny. Even in retirement I’ll be covering his back. I’m sorry if my actions sometimes upset people, but I always had John’s best interests at heart. It was a great ride.”

The Boxing Writers Association of America selected Stone, 54, as Co-Manager of the Year in 2002. A Vietnam War veteran, Stoney also served as Ruiz’ head trainer for four fights.

“I’m sorry to see him go,” Ruiz commented. “We’ve been together for 20 years and it was an up-and-down, roller coaster ride. It’s going to be tough moving on without him.”

Comments: Post a Comment

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

0 comments Tweet

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Links
  • Eddie Goldman Presented Journalism Lifetime Achievement Award -- The Conscience of Combat Sports
  • WAAR Sports
  • Girlboxing
  • Archives

    Subscribe to No Holds Barred
    Email:
    Browse Archives at groups.google.com

    © 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024 Eddie Goldman all rights reserved.