<$BlogRSDURL$>


Sunday, December 04, 2005

Frank Lotierzo: Hopkins Won Again 

Veteran boxing writer, historian, and former fighter Frank Lotierzo has sent us in two commentaries on Saturday's Taylor-Hopkins rematch, and a possible Taylor-Winky Wright fight. Here is his no-holds-barred assessment:

Just got home from watching the fight.

I scored it 7-5 Hopkins. Not winning the 11th round hurt him. I won money because of:

1 - I knew Hopkins didn't miscalculate the first time. His body dictated. His offense has eroded dramatically since his fight with Joppy. He tried to go out stronger and earlier this time. And it was almost exactly the same as last time. He's limited by his body due to his age. I felt then as I do now that Hopkins fighting the wrong style was a fallacy in the first fight. He fought the only fight he could, just like tonight. I knew he didn't get stupid overnight.

2 - I thought he couldn't put enough between him and Taylor to get the decision. IF he lost his title in a fight that he clearly hurt Taylor, how can he get it back in a fight without either being hurt?

I was lucky. Yesterday I got Taylor when he was a 7-5 dog, today he was 6-5 favorite. Again, I think Hopkins did a little more and earned the decision, but it's not like he got fucked. He's screwed because he's a month shy of 41. The fight was lousy and Hopkins should retire. IF he fights Jones, he won't win a round.

Frank

PS: Lampley sickens me.

On Taylor-Wright:

Can't resist guys.

I love how Winky Wright has become the most feared and unbeatable fighter in boxing. The guy who until beating an overfed lightweight twice, and a Trinidad that Hopkins ruined, came up short in the big spot every time.

IF Wright fights Taylor next, who is the mandatory, and HBO makes the fight, I wouldn't bet against Taylor. Might not bet the fight, but IF forced, I'd bet Taylor.

1-Business and politics -- A Wright win sets the middleweight division back further than it is.

2-After 24 rounds with Hopkins, he'll be OK with Wright. Winky nullified a small guy and a dead guy, which Taylor is not. Wright can't hurt Taylor, and yes, to decision him, he has to. He has nothing to keep Taylor from being deterred from punching. Taylor doesn't get discouraged when he misses. Pat Burns is not incompetent. IF he has any clue, he'll have Taylor jabbing up and down and to the chest along with coming around to the body in order to open Wright up.

Again - IF HBO allows the fight to be made, save yourself the vig and call me. After escaping Hopkins twice (although I felt Hopkins pulled both fights out), they're not losing what they gained unless they know Taylor handles him or Duane Ford scores every round.


Comments:
Frankie The Thumper and I agreed on the prediction part of it after much deliberation. We both picked Taylor by decision. However.....the only thing I didn't like about the verdict was the ominous 115-113 across the board (long-term investment thinking for Vegas and HBO?)I would've preferred a split verdict because the fight could easily be interpreted differently, or maybe even a draw. Vegas/HBO....
 
Post a Comment

1 Comments:

Frankie The Thumper and I agreed on the prediction part of it after much deliberation. We both picked Taylor by decision. However.....the only thing I didn't like about the verdict was the ominous 115-113 across the board (long-term investment thinking for Vegas and HBO?)I would've preferred a split verdict because the fight could easily be interpreted differently, or maybe even a draw. Vegas/HBO....

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:31 PM  

Post a Comment

1 comments Tweet

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Links
  • Eddie Goldman Presented Journalism Lifetime Achievement Award -- The Conscience of Combat Sports
  • WAAR Sports
  • Girlboxing
  • Archives

    Subscribe to No Holds Barred
    Email:
    Browse Archives at groups.google.com

    © 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024 Eddie Goldman all rights reserved.